Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Goodbye

The Salvation Army is not just a church but a organization that reaches out to those less fortunate in the community. In the past years, probably since I was five of six, I have been involved with both aspects of the SA and during that time I've seen my share of people come and go from our church on their way through the ranks modeled after military positions.

The preachers and elders are refereed to as 'officers' and are moved about every five years to different churches so that they may help the church grow and the church can do the same for them.

About five weeks ago, our preachers, or officers, to keep with the lingo, moved to a Salvation Army in North Carolina and we received new ones. From where, I don't know.

Today, the assistant officer at our church spent her last Sunday with us before going to Texas. I have a feeling that I will miss her more that our main officers. She was much more personal and enthusiastic.

But being in this church with such an arrangement has taught me one thing, that people come and go and there isn't much you can do about it. I've learned to never get too attached to people, outside of family and close friends, of course, because chances are they will eventually go away in some way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment